Fair Use Policies

The Traveller game in all forms is owned by Far Future Enterprises. Copyright 1977-2008 Far Future Enterprises. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises. Far Futures permits web sites and fanzines of this game, provided it contains this notice, that Far Future is notified, and subject to a withdrawal of permission on 90 days notice. The contents of this site are for personal, non-commercial use only. Any use of Far Future Enterprise's copyrighted material or trademarks anywhere on this web site and its files should not be viewed as a challenge to those copyrights or trademarks. In addition, any program/articles/file on this site cannot be republished or distributed without the consent of the author who contributed it.

“Cepheus Engine and Samardan Press are the trademarks of Jason "Flynn" Kemp,” and that you are not affiliated with Jason "Flynn" Kemp or Samardan Press™.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Starter Traveller post 4

Oddly there are a couple sections before discussing the types of careers so I will deal with them first. MUSTERING OUT is pretty straight forward with the exception of the restriction of no more than 3 rolls for cash. Given my premise that the pre-game careers represent service in a government job I postulate this is a restriction put in place because of popular demand in reaction to a portrayal of more than a certain amount as an insider scam to inflate government employee benefits unavailable to the private sector. I am okay with this as it fits my idea of a tension between the average person and the Imperium as a whole.

AGING is a painful thing to contemplate what was completely reasonable to me before I was 30 is insulting now that I am over 50. What I am talking about is the rules saying you start your downhill spiral at 34. I am not a biologist so this can be true and if I am honest I can admit I noticed after 25 there were things I could no longer do. Most of those things I now view as foolish like excessive alcohol consumption and failure to sleep which adds to the feeling of unreasonable persecution in the game. Mechanics wise and story wise I can't see a need to screw with it though but I want to. Weirdly there is the implication you are stuck with a character until that character dies or turns 66. Or maybe not so weird as character generation is pretty much presented as playing the hand of cards you are randomly dealt. Regardless I don't think anyone is going to be surprised I have no intention of enforcing this rule and there by encouraging a campaign derailment from player disinterest.

NON-PLAYER CHARACTERS is the final section before we get to the career type overviews. Seemingly somewhat out of place it is placed here I believe because the GM is supposed to roll them up as full blown characters. Decidedly different than most other games but not terribly difficult to do ahead of times in traveller.

No comments:

Post a Comment