Fair Use Policies

The Traveller game in all forms is owned by Far Future Enterprises. Copyright 1977-2008 Far Future Enterprises. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises. Far Futures permits web sites and fanzines of this game, provided it contains this notice, that Far Future is notified, and subject to a withdrawal of permission on 90 days notice. The contents of this site are for personal, non-commercial use only. Any use of Far Future Enterprise's copyrighted material or trademarks anywhere on this web site and its files should not be viewed as a challenge to those copyrights or trademarks. In addition, any program/articles/file on this site cannot be republished or distributed without the consent of the author who contributed it.

“Cepheus Engine and Samardan Press are the trademarks of Jason "Flynn" Kemp,” and that you are not affiliated with Jason "Flynn" Kemp or Samardan Press™.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A brief interlude about sharp and pointy things

Next up is going to the Marines and that means a service that makes sure everyone knows who to use a cutlass but not a rifle and their Lt's get revolver training. Seriously what is up with all the swords and knives and other D&D crap? I wish I could remember who said/wrote an explanation of why high tech societies using ancient tech weapons I could live with was but I don't. The gist of the premise was there is so much technology stuff on a starship that bullets and energy beams flying around would cause all kinds of collateral damage that could be fatal to everyone on the ship. Damage the controls of M Drive and off you go into an orbital body or the deep dark. Unplanned jump anyone? Runaway power plant to ruin the day? That's just the engineering deck. Now add that you are in a vacc suit/combat armor with restricted vision in the tight close range of a starship interior and it becomes more likely intended or not hand to hand becomes more common. Also as I seem to think I read somewhere else humans find the idea of being attacked with a knife much more frightening than a gun. I fear it was a police show where I heard it so it could be total BS but I could see someone trying to hack my arm off rather than shoot me being more terrifying.

Most of this is me trying to come up with a reason worth suspending disbelief and still using the rules as presented. Let me be clear in that I am not saying the Marines or anyone else for that matter are going in without guns. The nature of shipboard combat gives a the reason so many people know how to kill you with a knife or sword or spear. Any one buying this because I am still underwhelmed. More so considering most times the character spends 4 years of their life and said primitive weapon is the most noteworthy skill they pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment